Born on the 19th of July, 1961, Peter Obi is a Nigerian businessman, politician and former governor of Anambra State. PDP’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, selected him to be his running mate in the 2019 Nigerian general elections.
As a man who has made his mark both in the business world and Nigerian politics, Peter Obi’s biography and success story revealed in this post, holds a lot of lessons for us all.
If you are searching online on Google for the following keywords:
- who is Peter Gregory Obi
- Peter Gregory Onwubuasi Obi
- Peter Obi Success Story
- Peter Obi biography
- Peter Obi’s Wife, Children, Businesses, Mansions and Cars
Then this is the right page for you.
This article reveals everything you need to now about the man.
At the end of this post, you may also like to read about:
- Femi Otedola
- Ifeanyi Ubah
- Tony Elumelu
- Cletus Ibeto
- Innoson and other African young entrepreneurs.
Now without taking much of your time, let me show you everything you need to know about this man Peter Obi (his biography, success story, net worth and even his presidential ambition). Keep reading!
Peter Obi’s Biography
The man Peter Obi, fully named Peter Onwubuasi Obi, was born on July 19th, 196 at Onitsha, Anambra State, Nigeria.
Growing up, he attended the school known as Christ the King College (CKC), Onitsha. A school that is known to have produced so many leaders in the Nigerian society.
After his secondary school education and graduation from CKC, Obi got an admission to study Philosophy at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) in 1980.
Following his graduation from UNN with a B.A(Hons) in Philosophy in 1984, Obi ventured into business.
Other Educational Institutions He Attended Apart From UNN
Here is a list of some of the other educational institutions Peter Obi later attended:
- Lagos Business School, Nigeria (Chief Executive Program)
- Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Mid to Mid Marketing)
- Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Changing the Game)
- London School of Economics (Financial Mgmt/Business Policy)
- Columbia Business School, New York, U.S.A. (Marketing Mgmt )
- Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Senior Executive Program)
- Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Break-Through Program for CEOs)
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, U.S.A. (Advanced Executive Program)
- Kellogg School of Management U.S.A. (Global Advanced Mgmt Program)
- Oxford University: Said Business School, (Advanced Mgmt& Leadership Program)
- Cambridge University: George Business School (Advanced Leadership Program)
His Success In Business
Going into business at that young age after his graduation from UNN, Peter Obi quickly rose to fame and glory.
He was soon made the Chairman of Next International Nigeria Ltd. Following that, he became the Chairman and Director of Guardian Express Mortgage Bank Ltd and Guardian Express Bank Plc.
His success here also led him to become the Chairman of Future View Securities Ltd, Paymaster Nigeria Ltd, Chams Nigeria Ltd, Data Corp Ltd and Card Centre Ltd.
He is still the youngest Chairman Fidelity Bank has ever had, till date.
In 2015, during the administration of Goodluck Jonathan (former president of Nigeria), Peter Obi became the Chairman of the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC). A position he held and handled well.
His Success In Nigerian Politics (Governorship And Presidential Ambition)
In 2003, Peter Obi contested for the office of the governor of Anambra State under the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) for the first time.
Though his rival in the election, Chris Ngige, was declared the winner by the INEC. Peter Obi never gave up on his ambition to become the governor.
Assured the election results were manipulated, Obi continued to go to court until the Court of Appeal overturned Ngige’s victory on the 15th of March, 2006.
Two days later (on the 17th of March, 2006) Peter Obi took office as the undisputed governor of Anambra State.
After a series of going in and out of office which saw both Virginia Etiaba and Andy Ubah become governors, Peter Obi returned as the governor of Anambra State for the second term on 7th of February, 2010.
Until his successful handover to Chief Willie Obiano, Peter Oabi governed Anambra State well. His two terms saw the state rise to become one of the most developed states in Nigeria.
With eyes set on the presidency, in 2015 Obi joined the People’s Democratic Party. A move that was not pleasing to so many people including his followers at that time.
He remained in PDP despite the rumours his aggrieved former party members were spreading about him that he has betrayed his former leader Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu, whom they said Obi promised never to leave the party, APGA.
However on the 12th of October, 2018, Peter Obi’s new alliance with the People’s Democratic Party finally paid off as the PDP’s presidential flagbearer, former vice president, Atiku Abubakar selected him to be his running mate in the forthcoming general elections in Nigeria 2019.
His Numerous Awards
- 2015: Golden Jubilee Award from Catholic Diocese of Onitsha for outstanding contribution to quality healthcare delivery in St. Charles Borromeo Hospital in particular and Anambra State in general, on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee celebration of the hospital.
- 2014: Nigerian Library Association Golden Merit Award for remarkable improvement of libraries in Anambra State, exemplified by our Government’s construction of the Kenneth Dike Digital State Library, remarkable upgrade of the Onitsha Divisional Library, and provision of library facilities in secondary schools across the State.
- 2014: Champion Newspaper Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade.
- 2014 The Voice Newspaper (Holand) Achievers Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance.
- 2013: Silver Bird Man of the Year (with Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State).
- 2012: Business Hallmark Newspaper Man of the Year.
- 2012: The Golden Award on Prudence – by the Methodist Church of Nigeria as the Most Financially Prudent Governor in Nigeria.
- 2012: Leadership and Good Governance Award by The Ezeife Leadership Foundation Award for restoring peace and harmony to Anambra State.
- 2012: Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria – by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- 2012: Outstanding Financial Planner and Manager – by the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion for my resourcefulness and creativity in governance.
- 2011: Zik Leadership Prize.
- 2010: ICT Governor of the Year – by the West Africa ICT Development Award.
- 2009: Champion Newspaper Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor Award.
- 2009: Thisday Newspaper Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria.
- 2007: The Sun Newspaper Man of the Year Award.
- The Nigerian MDGs Office/UNDP Best Governor in the Implementation of the MDGs in Nigeria
Peter Obi’s Net Worth
Currently, Obi is estimated to be worth billions of Naira. The exact amount is known.
Peter Obi’s Speech On The Way Forward For Nigeria That Went Viral
In 2017, Peter Obi delivered a very powerful speech at The Platform that pointed out the way forward for Nigeria. That speech went viral and is still one of the most shared content on social networks till today in Nigeria.
The speech alone won the hearts of so many Nigerians as many immediately started calling for the office of the president to be given to him.
Below are some of the excerpts of that speech Peter Obi delivered on THE WAY FORWARD FOR NIGERIA. Read and enjoy!
“The only way out of recession is to spend for growth. You can only spend for growth either from savings or from borrowing.
The question is: what are you borrowing for?
Are you borrowing for consumption or for production?
When you borrow for consumption, you are heading for disaster.”
” I had to stop the Presidential lodge in Anambra… A project awarded at 400million. I had to close down state house in Lagos and Abuja… Because I felt we don’t need it…. Even when other states had.”
” They said President Obasanjo is coming… I went to borrow the kind of cars they wanted… Instead of spending millions… From a neighbouring state.”
“I requested Obasanjo to spend the nights in my lodge Since they said he must sleep over… I asked my wife to pack out of my bedroom… We went opposite to lodge in a hotel (name mentioned) for the week, we paid N30,000 instead of N100,000.”
“I used the 150million for 2 bullet proof cars to buy almost 50 Peugeot cars at 3 million each.. gave 17 to JUDGES and 18 to permanent Secretaries (because i discovered they did not have cars) and kept 10 for govt house… which I used as Governor… I did not use bullet proof cars as Governor.”
“They said we should attend world Igbo Congress in U.S…. That the budget WAS cut from 40 to 32million…. I asked them why… That only one person should go and come and tell us what was discussed.”
“Instead of paying 30,000 for each security personnel (about 30) per night in Abuja, I told IG to give me Police whenever am in Abuja….I travel alone… People complained…. The 15 drivers lodged in Abuja state house…who come to airport to cause confusion, I asked to go, kept only 3. The others to go back to Akwa or look for job… I asked the cook to go back to Akwa instead of giving him 30,000 per plate.”
“When Governors lodge and Govt house was burnt before I came… With budget of 400million and 300 million, I repaired them for 42 million and 80million respectively. They wanted to impeach me that I did not spend by due process… Following the awarded Contracts and contractor…. I saw a table.. That my predecessor used, they said it’s old… I asked them to renovate it… That all I needed was a table to write as Governor… “
“You young people, take back your Country…it is your future they are toying with”.
“I reduced my convoy to 5 vehicles and you cannot buy fuel unless I am in the car”.
“If I sleep in a hotel and have to pay N250k a night, I will be awake all night…feeling like I was robbed”.
“You know there are many big men in Anambra state, so when they want to see me, I say to them I will come to you instead”.
“We handed schools back to Churches and by 2013, we were number one in WAEC.”
“I beg you to participate more in politics, the society we help them abuse today will take its revenge tomorrow”.- Peter Obi
I believe Peter Obi is one of the finest young men Nigeria has ever produced. And yes, he is one of the best things currently happening to Nigerian politics and economy.
A businessman with success history, a politician with a different. Let’s all learn from him.
I hope you enjoyed reading this post. If you do, do not forget to SHARE it now on Facebook, Twitter and every other social network you are on.